More City Science

SantaFe

My talk is here to download as a PDF and at some point the Santa Fe Web Site (which you can get below will have the video. I will post the video too on our CASA web site. My talk at the Santa Fe Institute is about our long standing interest in CASA in how we can build a science for our field. There is an awful lot of interest in this at present and I recently noted that two centres at MIT, besides the Sensable Cities Lab, one called City Science, the other The Centre for Advanced Urbanism profess much the same ideas as we do here. These are being paralled by a number of new centres in smart cities such as CUSP, the Centre for Urban Science and Progress, being pioneered at New York University. At Santa Fe, one of their main programs is in Cities where there are fascinating developments in scaling and in exploring urban data with a view to constructing a new understanding of how cities grow, how they merge and how the differentiate themselves through informal housing developments that transform themselves into mature cities. My talk here is wide ranging and it sets a context. The power point will be online here after I have given it.